Every now and then we have to stop focusing on only washing and conditioning our hair and think about hair care tips and especially for those visiting us in London we have some good advice.
Consider your hair as dead tissue, technically speaking – and of course apart from being great fun to style and colour our hair serves a valuable purpose – to keep our head warm and to help regulate our body temperature.
Hair just like nails is an extension of your epidermis – the outer layer of your skin. It is composed mainly of protein. The typical hair cell stays with you for three to five years until it falls or grows out. Most of the time it gets replaced. Because you spend so much time with your hair particularly if you’re a woman it deserves good care. So here are some hair care tips to help you keep your hair shiny, healthy, and beautiful:
- Mash a ripe avocado with one egg, then apply to wet hair because they are rich in vitamins, essential fatty acids and minerals that will help restore luster to your hair, says Stephen Sanna, expert colorist at the Pierre Michel Salon in New York City. Leave on for at least 20 minutes, then rinse several times. Repeat once a week for damaged hair and once a month for healthy hair.
- Use one part apple cider vinegarand two parts very warm water to help balance the pH level of your scalp and bring out natural red highlights. It may be smelly, but it works, says Federico. Simply pour the vinegar mixture onto your hair, massage it into your scalp, and let it dry for a few minutes. Then wash hair as usual.
- Mix one egg with a small amount of shampoo –apply to your hair for five minutes, and rinse well. This “shampoo omelet” helps to enhance the protein in your hair.
- Make your own conditioner – here are some simple tips to condition your hair using some everyday household ingredients:
- Rub enough mayonnaise into your hair to coat it, wait up to an hour, and wash it out. You’ll be amazed at how soft and shiny your hair is, thanks to this great protein source.
- Substitute condensed milk for your regular conditioner. The protein provides an extra-special shine.
- Mix 2 ounces olive oil and 2 ounces aloe vera gel with 6 drops each of rosemary and sandalwood essential oils. Olive oil is an emollient, aloe hydrates, and rosemary adds body and softness.
Colour My Life LONDON located on Lavender Hill, SW11 focus on the most up to date colouring, styling and hair care techniques and stock a wide range of hair care products. The dedicated team love to ensure every client feels comfortable with taking care of their hair at home and will be pleased to spend time providing just the right level of advice about home styling. For those clients who opt to purchase a product from their wide range available in-store, they’ll show you how to get the best from them too.